Monday, January 21, 2008

A Snowy day in Georgia

Saturday, January 19, 2008

I woke up Saturday morning to a full-blown blizzard outside my window! Okay, well maybe not a true blizzard, but it's Georgia! We haven't seen snow like this around here in several years. I was excited and got out of bed immediately!

I continued to watch the snow accumulate and my anxiousness grew at the thought of finally getting out for a run in snow for the first time ever. My main concern was traction in the snow or slush and avoiding ice patches. I did NOT want to end up with another new scar on my knees. This was going to be my first legitimate run since November 24, 2007. It's been the longest funk I can remember while running seriously. I was finally ready. The snow was my moment to get back out there!

Got ready (which is a whole process I had nearly forgotten) and made my way out the door. Walking to the road was a great feeling. The music in my ipod slowly prepping me for the run! I love the familiar sounds of my favorite running music!! I did a few test steps before running, just to make sure the slush wasn't going to be dangerous. Everything looked good to go!

I pressed the center button and heard the reassuring words "beginning workout" from the ipod lady. I couldn't help but smile as I ran through the snow showers! I'm sure the drivers going by thought I was crazy! I noticed many people watching me as they went by in their nice warm cars. After the first half mile or so, I was able to relax and not worry too much about my steps or falling. The air was cold in my lungs and I could feel a burning in my chest. I realized that I had forgotten my rescue inhaler and would just have to run through the asthma.

I ran to the stop sign at Webb Bridge Road and Park Bridge, then turned around. I had to come to a full stop so I didn't slip. The thought occurred to me that this was the farthest I had run in six weeks! I was very happy and feeling good (in spite of the asthma.) I ran back, even singing aloud at times. I hadn't seen a soul out the entire time. Just then a boy on a bike came riding by from the opposite direction. I said "hi" but he just whizzed by me. When I got to the corner of the school, I had to stop and walk about 100 feet to allow my lungs to calm down.

I ran the rest of the way home, enjoying the solitude and quiet and beauty of the fresh snow. The muted grey and white was so peaceful. It was a wonderful relief to be running again. The familiarity of the movement was relaxing. I didn't notice the cold at all. If I had had the endurance, I might have run double the distance. As it was, 3.16 miles was just perfect. The walk from the corner back to my apartment was great! I was definitely on a runner's high. Finished it off with a little stretching on my apartment stairs and hot chocolate inside. I wish it snowed like this more often here.

Here's a photo I took of the snow outside my building. You can see my footsteps in the snow in between the pavers.

1 comment:

mikecnichols said...

Sounds like you had some fun in the snow! I wish it snowed more here. Glad you had some fun running.