Sunday, August 10, 2008

Running through Europe, Part deux- Spain, Paris and Dublin

[again- please note all this is for my own sake, which I guess that's the point of a blog anyway, eh?]
We (the students and I) spent about 2 days together in Italy, then they returned home from Milano the next morning. Unfortunately, the place we were staying at (up on top of a mountain basically, with no place to run) and the schedule (arriving late and leaving too early) did not allow for any runs. I spent another day in Milan on my own and left the next morning to Firenze. Firenze was marvelous and has many many nice places for running (through the main squares and along the river around the bridges...) but they were a bit of a hike from my hotel room which was outside of town. I regret not at least trying to get a run in there- sunrise along the Arno river would have been amazing, I am sure. But- I will be returning next year (!) and will definitely make sure to stay closer to town and make the effort!

Due to travel complications (long story ;) ) getting from Pisa to Barcelona, and then a late night "good bye party" for one of Johana's sister's friends (where I stayed in Barcelona) we did not get up in time for any running. Sadly, I didn't do much of anything while in Barcelona due to time restraints. The following day, we had half a morning in the city before I had to board a train for Alicante to see Elke.

I had 3 very nice runs in Spain. The first one was from the teeny tiny town of Busot where Elke lives. We ran down the windy road that had no shoulder, intermittently dodging the huge delivery trucks that passed by! We went down for about a mile and a quarter when we stopped for a little stretching, then ran back up. I had to complete 3 miles minimum, so when we got back and it was only 2.75, I ran up and down the main (?!) street in Busot to make up the difference! I was surprised at how easy this run was compared to what I was expecting (I don't normally like hills!) and given the heat/sun.

Later that day, we went to the shore where there is a very nice promenade. I immediately knew this is where I had to do my next run!! I was even able to convince Elke that we should run there together! So Saturday morning, we got up early and headed out to the beach promenade, bringing our bathing suits along as well so we could swim afterwards. We did approximately 3.5 miles. The sun was getting stronger and there was no shade so it was a very sweaty run!! Best part was the amazing breakfast we had at the seaside cafe! We were still in our running clothes, but luckily no one seemed to mind!

I wanted to get at least one more run in by the shore, so I told Elke we had to go again. She wimped out this time, but I got in another run while she lounged along the water. I went for 4 miles. We slept in since we'd gone out to dinner late the night before, so it was already well past 10am by the time I started. The temperature must have been at least 80 degrees. It was a bit humid even. However, the view of the sea made up for all of that. I enjoyed looking at everything as I passed by- the cafes, people going to enjoy their day at the beach, cars randomly parked on the sidewalks... The best part was when I finally got back to the spot where Elke was and just taking off my shoes, ipod, hat, etc and running straight into the water! It felt so amazing at that point! I'm sure people were wondering what the heck I was doing but I didn't care a bit at that moment!! If only every hot run could end with running into the Mediterranean sea!!!

That night I took the train to Madrid (and sort of attempted to sleep in the airport) and took a 5:30 am flight to Paris. I was going to see Virginie!!! Due to the odd schedule, I obviously didn't get a run in that day (Monday), but I woke up nice and early and headed over to Les Tuileries. I got off at Hotel de Ville (it was direct from my youth hostel). I crossed the bridge walking to warm up and then started off. What a beautiful morning! Nice sun, low/no humidity and probably in the 60s. I ran to the park along the Seine, crossing back over to the north side (I can never remember which is right or left back since to me, you can't have left and right when the river flows east-west!!!) The park was full of other runners, people walking to work, workers cleaning and maintaining areas of the park, or just folks sitting on one of the benches scattered around the park. I have been wanting to run through Les Tuileries since Feb 2006 when I was there with my sister in the cold rain, watching all the runners (and runnin' runnin' and runnin' runnin' ;) ) I have several photos I took with the disposible camera that I haven't developed yet. Once I do, I will insert them here! :)

The last part of this post is Dublin. I went to Dublin after just two days in Paris, since I had only come back to visit Virginie. I stayed with friends who I had met through Kick in Philly last November. When I told them I was coming to Europe the following summer, they invited me to come visit! Uh, ok! It was a great time, too. The first night I was there, we all went for a run along the river front (near where they lived in the dockland area). We ran along the river then crossed at a bridge that led to a famous sculpture in remembrance of the great famine. We also came across a replica of a Viking ship from centuries ago that had been made and then sailed to Dublin. We paused for a bit to watch the owners fiddling about with stuff on the boat, then continued on. We crossed back over at the far end of river (towards the sea) and wound our way through the canals and docks. We passed by U2's studios, as well! (AWESOME!!) Of course, I came back here the following night and ended up hanging out for four hours, listening to them do some recording while I was there!!!!! We finished up the run racing each other to the doors of their apartment. Liam won, though, despite my best efforts (he was already ahead of us and had a head start!!) Probably ended up with about 3 miles total. This was not really a training run, but more for the company of friends and to do a little sight-seeing. Hopefully next time, I will be able to stay longer and do some runs at the Phoenix Park, which is the largest park in a city in all of Europe! There's also Steven's Green. I didn't even have a chance to just visit either of these spots. It will all be there waiting for me next year, though!

Next up.. Nottingham and London! :)

No comments: