Sunday, January 4, 2009

ATC Resolution Run, January 1, 2009 and Marion,VA!

Well, I knew I couldn't start the year off without having some sort of run on New Year's Day. A fellow runner friend suggested we meet up for the Atlanta Track Club's yearly Resolution Run and I figured it would be the best way to ensure I get out there on the first day of the year, no excuses. They offered a 5k and a 10k, which did turn out to be two loops of the 5k route. I haven't run an honest 6 miles in a loooooong time, so I went with the 5k. I had arrived way ahead of start time. I thought we were starting at noon, but it turned out that was the kids' 1 mile run. We weren't off till 12:20. In fact, we were all waiting around near the start and with little warning or fanfare, everyone just started running! We almost missed it!

I'm pretty sure I started off a bit too fast, but the crowd pulled me along. I really wasn't out to prove anything (except that I could actually wake up on New Year's Day and run!) and aimed to keep a fairly even pace. The course was through an industrial office park near Town Center Mall in Kennesaw. It was cold-ish (mid 30s) but sunny. I pulled off the gloves after mile 1. Luckily, no issues with asthma. Here's the Nike+ graph of the run. You can see the hills pretty easily!



Overall, I'm pretty happy with my final time- 33:11 or :12 (gun time was 33:14, I think). I haven't even run a formal 5k in a while. This was well worth the drive and the $5. Plus, I had a great time with some friends with a nice lunch afterwards. Here's the photo I posted on my 365 of Elizabeth, Heather and Charles at TGI Friday's post-race:



And here's another photo Elizabeth took of Heather and me in the restaurant....



All in all, it was a great start to the new year! I will definitely be doing this run again next year if I can!

And, I've already had my second run of the year. Friday, Mandy and I headed up to Marion, VA to visit the brother, sister-in-law, and baby Willow. Saturday morning, I got up and did 3.5 around the small town of Marion. It's also a bit hilly there, but I enjoyed running in a different location. I have to note, though, that apparently NO ONE in the ENTIRE town runs! I noticed most everyone staring at me through their car windows as they drove by! It was a bit creepy at times (like the pervy guy in the back seat with his face pressed up against the side window!! No joke!!), but most of the time I just ignored them. I did get one friendly hello from a guy on his porch as I passed. Ah, the joys of small town life! Most I get around here in Alpharetta is a honk or two as they pass by!

I did want to say, though, that with just a week and half of consistency, I already can tell a difference in my endurance. (yay!) Lungs are better and runs seem easier. Don't want to jinx anything, but I feel good! Looking forward to a nice run tomorrow after school in the warm winter weather.

3 comments:

Stephen said...

Congrats on getting a run in on New Year's Day! I have gotten 1 short run in so far this year at the gym as a warm up before hitting the weights. Need to get that to be a more regular event.

Theia said...

Great pics!!

Beth said...

Thanks, Alexis! :) We had a great time!